State and district leaders are facing multiple concerns in response to widespread and potential long-term school closures due to the growing threat of COVID-19. The concerns are broad and consequential. Leaders are rightfully prioritizing the safety and welfare of students and the community. We have been inspired by the dedication and resourcefulness of leaders who are ensuring essential services, such as meals, are provided as well as facilitating innovative approaches to support remote learning.
Additionally, the school closures present substantial assessment and accountability implications and numerous challenges for state personnel. The Center for Assessment is poised to support our assessment and accountability colleagues around the country with technical, practical, and policy guidance and advice. We launched this page to help you efficiently find the resources you need during these uncertain times.
The resources are organized by the major categories of assessment and accountability and reflect the issues we anticipate state and district leaders will be dealing with over the next few weeks through next year. We hope you find these resources useful and if there is a question that you would like to see addressed, please email us or tweet at us. We continue to wish you all the best in these uncertain times.
- - Restart and Recovery: Assessments in Spring 2021
- - Restart & Recovery: Assessment Considerations for Fall 2020
- - Classroom Assessment Learning Modules to Support Re-Entry Fall 2020 & Beyond
- - Meeting the Moment: A Novel Format for RILS to Address Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic
- - Restart and Recovery: Guidance for Collecting, Evaluating, and Reporting Data
- - Using Opportunity-to-Learn Data to Support Educational Equity
- - Restart and Recovery: Alternative Approaches to State Testing in 2021
- - Understanding Pandemic Learning Loss and Learning Recovery: The Role of Student Growth & Statewide Testing
- - Assessment Flexibility Guidance
- - Rationale for States Considering Assessment Flexibility
- - Making Sense of Spring 2021 Assessment Results
- - School Disruption Due to COVID-19A High-Level Overview of Likely Implications and Options for Assessment and Accountability
- - Considering Equity Within Accountability Systems in Response to Interruptions in Schooling: Making Accountability Systems Help
- - The Outlook for ESSA School Accountability After COVID-19
- - Dealing with Fallout from COVID-19 School Disruptions: What to do Next in Assessment and Accountability?
- - Program Evaluations under COVID-19
- - Rethinking School Accountability for the 2020-2021 School Year
- - Restart and Recovery: The Outlook for School Accountability
- - Understanding Pandemic Learning Loss and Learning Recovery
- - We're All in This Together. Dealing Fairly with Assessment Contracts as Schools Cancel or Suspend Student Testing During the COVID-19 Crisis
- - An Assessment Response to Anticipated Learning Gaps. Implications of School Closures on Assessment Needs
- - In Search of Continuity of Student Learning After Extended School Closures
- - Issues and Considerations that the COVID-19 Pandemic Presents for Measuring Student Growth
- - Remote Learning Provides an Opportunity to Rethink Assessment (and Learning)
- - Carpe Diem: Evolving Education After COVID-19
- - Fall Educational Assessment: The Information You Need and How to Get It
- - Summative State Assessments Can Wait!
- - Stop Searching for the Holy Grail: Responding to COVID-19 Achievement Gaps
- - You Say Tomato: Concerns About the Diagnostic Assessment Rhetoric
- - Contextualizing COVID-19 “Learning Loss” and “Learning Recovery”
- - How Should We Assess Students in Fall 2020? Formative Assessment Wins Again.
- - The Future of Statewide Summative Tests: Avoid False Dichotomies
- - Key Takeaways for Assessment in 2020-2021
- - Getting Ahead of the Curve: Planning for Accurate Equating in 2021
- - What Should We Do Next Year?
- - Transitioning Toward Holistic Assessment Systems
- - A Principled Approach to Classroom Assessment During Remote Learning
- - Test Score Meaning Under Remote Test Administration
- - What’s Wrong with Grading this Year? The Same Things That are Wrong Every Year.
- - One-Sided “Advice” on Remote Test Administration Isn’t Fair to States
- - State Testing in 2021: Messaging Matters More than Ever How Can We Best Communicate Test Results Given the Challenges of Learning in a Pandemic?
- - Focus, Fix, Fit: Understanding the Meaning of 2021 Test Scores
- - Practical Advice for Adapting Formative Assessment Practices to Remote Learning Contexts
- - Reflections From a Decade of Fall Testing
- -Could Two Through Year Assessment Designs Provide Both Summative and Instructional Information?